Savory Stuffed French Toast — A vegetarian savory french toast recipe made with sourdough bread, red pepper hummus, feta cheese, and sautéed spinach drizzled with a balsamic syrup. A meal fit for breakfast, brunch, or dinner!
I received free samples of Sabra mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time. Thanks for supporting the partners that keep Sinful Nutrition running!
Happy Mother’s Day!
That’s right, we’re giving A Little Somethin’ Sunday a break this week to give a shoutout to all the mamas out there near and far, especially to my sister in law. A brand new mama to my first nephew! I am beyond excited to be an auntie. 😀
You know what else I’m excited for?
That’s right folks. You heard it here first. Today is not only a day to celebrate mom, but the pièce de résistance of hummus week. It’s hummus day, betches. Break out the fine silverware for this one.
I clearly remember having french toast as a kid far more than pancakes or waffles. I don’t think they were ever stuffed with hummus or drizzled with balsamic, but it was a breakfast staple in the Cooper home.
Nowadays, I am much more of a savory breakfast kinda gal, and am no stranger to turning sweet ones to the dark side. ( cheddar herb overnight oats anyone?) Since it’s Mother’s Day AND hummus day, why the hell not make a brunch dish fit for both occasions?! I’m all about efficiency anyways.
I have to say, out of all the hummus-filled recipes this week, this one takes the loaf. It’s a solid dish on it’s own, but it’s that balsamic drizz that takes this one to the top of get-in-my-mouth mountain. And let me tell you, the view is breath-taking.
Money-Saving Tips for this Savory French Toast Recipe:
- Buy in bulk. Purchasing bigger sizes of hummus or blocks of cheese can be more cost-effective (if you will use leftovers) than smaller sizes.
- Use store brands. Utilizing store brands for basic items like spices, vinegar, and oil can be less expensive than name brand without sacrificing flavor or quality.
- Buy day old. Bread that is a little stale makes for great french toast. Purchase day old bread to both save money & make a better brunch.
more brunch recipes:Print
A vegetarian savory french toast recipe made with sourdough bread, red pepper hummus, feta cheese, and sautéed spinach. A meal fit for breakfast, brunch, or dinner!
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup Sabra roasted red pepper hummus
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced roasted red peppers
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil, and cook garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until wilted.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Spread hummus evenly on two slices of bread.
- Top with feta cheese, red pepper strips, and sautéed spinach.
- Top with remaining slices of bread, and press firmly to hold together.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat, and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and pepper.
- Dip both sides of each sandwich in egg mixture, and add to heated skillet.
- Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cut each in half and serve on plates.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add balsamic vinegar and maple syrup.
- Cook over medium-low heat until mixture starts to bubble.
- Reduce heat to low, and add cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Drizzle balsamic over prepared french toast before serving.
- Make sure to really press the sandwiches together before dipping in the egg. It will help it hold together, and easier to flip.
- I thickened the balsamic syrup with cornstarch instead of cooking it down. This is not only faster, but also uses a lot less balsamic vinegar than if you reduced it.
- Use any of the over 12 Sabra hummus flavors to make this dish your own. The roasted red pepper flavor just happens to be my favorite.
- Category: breakfast, brunch
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: breakfast, brunch, french toast, hummus, savory, vegetarian
Pin this to your Brunch board!
Make it a great day!
Do you prefer sweet or savory breakfasts?
French toast, pancakes, or waffles?