A vegetarian savory french toast recipe made with sourdough bread, red pepper hummus, feta cheese, and sautéed spinach. A meal fit for breakfast, brunch, or dinner!
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup Sabra roasted red pepper hummus
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced roasted red peppers
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil, and cook garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until wilted.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Spread hummus evenly on two slices of bread.
- Top with feta cheese, red pepper strips, and sautéed spinach.
- Top with remaining slices of bread, and press firmly to hold together.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat, and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and pepper.
- Dip both sides of each sandwich in egg mixture, and add to heated skillet.
- Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cut each in half and serve on plates.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add balsamic vinegar and maple syrup.
- Cook over medium-low heat until mixture starts to bubble.
- Reduce heat to low, and add cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Drizzle balsamic over prepared french toast before serving.
- Make sure to really press the sandwiches together before dipping in the egg. It will help it hold together, and easier to flip.
- I thickened the balsamic syrup with cornstarch instead of cooking it down. This is not only faster, but also uses a lot less balsamic vinegar than if you reduced it.
- Use any of the over 12 Sabra hummus flavors to make this dish your own. The roasted red pepper flavor just happens to be my favorite.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: breakfast, brunch
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 512
- Sugar: 23
- Sodium: 449
- Fat: 17
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 12
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 75
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 18
- Cholesterol: 198
Keywords: breakfast, brunch, french toast, hummus, savory, vegetarian