Vegan Lentil Cauliflower Tacos — A simple and healthy plant-based recipe full of fiber, protein, veggies, and flavor! All made in one skillet in under 30 minutes!
Why we got to limit happy to an hour? Why we gotta limit tacos to Tuesday? Let us enjoy tacos and margaritas for 3 hours on a Monday. Damn, I feel so liberated now.
Seriously though, is there a bad time for tacos? Whoever tells you there is, kick ’em to the curb. You don’t need that kinda negativity in your life.
I’m still surprised how much attention cauliflower gets. Like what HASN’t it tainted? Pizza. Mashed potatoes. Rice. Buffalo wings. MY LIFE.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about adding more veggies to every day, but I like my pizza to be pizza. And my rice to be starchy. So I bet you’re wondering why the hell I’d make tacos with cauliflower after all this ranting is done with.
It tastes good.
I first got the idea when trying out the Test Kitchen recipe from Food & Nutrition that involved cauliflower and walnuts as the taco meat. Riiigghht. It was awesome. I was wrong. Cauliflower has a place in my tacos.
The walnuts gave it an awesome texture, but my heart always goes back to the lentil. Have you met yet? Lentil, this is my friend. My friend, the lentil. And they lived happily ever after.
It’s spicy. It’s smoky. Chock full of pro, fiber, and yes, cauliflower. I have been reborn.
- Use canned lentils so they are already cooked and ready to go. Just drain and rinse before using.
- Make it even quicker by using frozen cauliflower instead of fresh. Just add to pan without the water the recipe calls for.
- This filling can be a salad topping, omelet filling, or even wrapped in a burrito as well.
- 1 small head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup + 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- tortillas, diced avocado, cilantro, green onions, etc.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped cauliflower, and cook until lightly browned ~ 5 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup water, cover, and cook until cauliflower is softened ~ 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook another 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Transfer lentils and cauliflower to bowl of a food processor. Pulse 3-4 times, until mixture is chopped.
- Move back to skillet, and heat over low.
- Add spices, and cook 30 seconds.
- Add tomato paste and 1 cup of water, and stir until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Transfer mixture to tortillas, and top with desired additions.
INSPIRED BY FOOD & NUTRITION
Looking for more lentil or cauliflower recipes?
You May Also Like:
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite kind of taco?
Soft shell or hard shell?