Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Tacos -- A plant-based recipe made with grilled portobello mushrooms and onions infused with flavor from a balsamic and garlic marinade. (gluten-free, vegan option)
I received a free copy of Sara Haas' cookbook in exchange for this post. I was not compensated for my time. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
If you're not a taco fan, we can't be friends. I'm sorry. That's a non-negotiable in the requirements of my friendship.
Loyalty. Make each other laugh. Must like tacos. Lovers of peanut butter and sarcasm strongly preferred.
So when I got the chance to review fellow RD (and chef!) Sara Haas' ULTIMATE Taco Cookbook, I totally called shotgun as fast as possible.
Did we just become best friends?
Grilled portobellos are actually one of my all-time favorites in the summertime, especially when balsamic is involved. They give you that meaty texture, but all that #OneMorePlant goodness! It was hard to choose just one recipe to feature, but I was craving sweet and tangy, balsamic-y portobellos. And...goat cheese. No brain-ah.
Money-Saving Tips for these Mushroom Tacos:
- Buy in bulk. Purchasing bigger packages such as the corn tortillas can be more cost-effective than smaller sizes. Use leftovers to make your own tortilla chips.
- Use store-brands. Buying store brands for basic items such as vinegar, spices, and oils can be less expensive than name brands without sacrificing flavor or quality.
The thing I like about Sara's cookbook is that it is loaded with 100+ (!!) recipes, from chicken and lamb, to kid-friendly and even dessert tacos! Even if you don't think you like tacos (and you're trying to take our relationship to friend status), I guarantee you would find something you like.
Here's how I made this recipe work for me!
- Since I don't have a grill, I took a shortcut and bought the pre-sliced portobello mushrooms.
- After the the veggies were cooked, I added the remaining marinade, and cooked it until it thickened and evaporated for even more flavor.
- I couldn't find arugula, so I used a mix of greens instead.
more taco recipes:Print
[Tweet "AD: These #Vegetarian Portobello Mushroom Tacos are a must-make for your next #TacoTuesday! @cookinrd #tacotacotaco"]
Pin this to your Tacos board!
Make it a great day!
What's your favorite kind of taco?
Corn or flour tortillas?