Hummus Stuffed Burgers Recipe — A quick and easy bean burger filled with caramelized onion hummus. A healthy plant-based dinner idea that only takes minutes and a few ingredients to make!
I received free samples of Sabra mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time. Thanks for supporting the partners that keep Sinful Nutrition running!
Happy Hummus Saturday my legume-lovin’ frands!
This is the second to last installment of the Sinful Nutrition Hummus week (find the first two here and here), and what a wild ride it has been. I’ve been taking hummus where I never thought it could go before. Never underestimate the power of a chickpea ever again.
If you’re an avid Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (triple D for the loyal) binge-watcher like me, I guarantee you have heard of a Jucy Lucy before. A.K.A a burger with the cheese stuffed IN the burger.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. I hate melty cheese. So the thoughts of a burger oozing with a quarter pound of the stuff is no far cry from my worst nightmare. Smoky, caramelized oniony hummus, doh? My hero.
I took my humble and embarrassingly easy bean burger recipe to triple D territory…that is if the diners of the world served veggie burgers, date shakes, and matcha lattes. Don’t give me that look, it’s plausible.
I LOVE caramelized onions on burgers, so shoveling a buncha the Sabra Caramelized Onion hummus into these burgers was a given.
- Make sure to pinch the edges of the burger once filled with the hummus to help keep it from spilling out.
- These burgers are very versatile. Add different flavors of hummus and spices to mix it up! Some ideas are adding basil and sun-dried tomato hummus, or chili powder and cumin with jalapeno hummus.
- You can use different types of beans instead of black beans. The starchier varieties such as kidney and cannellini beans work the best for staying together.
- If mixture is too dry to stick together, add a little bit of water ( a tablespoon at a time) until it comes together.
- 1 (28 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) Sabra caramelized onion hummus
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, add beans, flour, cilantro, and garlic powder.
- Mash beans together until mixture sticks together.
- Form mixture into 8 uniform balls, and flatten each into a circular disc.
- Add two tablespoons of hummus to the middle of half of the patties.
- Top with remaining patties, and squeeze edges to seal.
- Spray skillet with non-stick spray, and cook burgers for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Serve with favorite toppings.
Pin this recipe for later!
Want some more hummus love?
Check out these recipes!
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite kind of burger?
Do you have any must toppings for your burgers?