Quick & Easy Vegetarian Pate Recipe – A simple appetizer or snack that’s full of protein!
Rise and shine my little nuggets of sunshine, we got some Monday to do!
Let’s make this week quick, because I also have some 4th of July-ing to do. AKA Halloween is pretty much next week. #solongsweetsummer
This weekend was one of the best for my new Mainer life to boot!
Sorry I just had to.
Saturday, Becky and I ventured off to Freeport to snag some free bracelet making, food, and goodie bags from L.L Bean. It felt like college campus all over again.
Browsing the outlets and soaking up the sunshine left us pretty parched, so we hit up some free tastings at the Maine Craft Distilling Co. Tasting the “hints of butter and oak” was non-existent. More like Imma shoot this back and get it over with. It’s safe to say I left only tasting a couple of their spirits.
They must have known I was coming with this one though.
Sunday I was determined to hit the road for my first run in quite a while, especially since there’s a trail that loops around the bay. Ocean views + running? Sign me up!
And nothing is more motivating than seeing this out your car window.
Usually the rain in my running jam, but throw in the cold, wind, and the word “torrential” , and the thought of treadmills start to sound appealing. I managed to squeak in a little over 2 miles before throwing in the waterlogged towel. I’ll take it.
After squeaking through the grocery store for a few things, a hot shower, sweatpants, and an afternoon of cooking was calling my name.
After trying my first taste of pate, I knew I liked it, but was in no liver-shaped form going to attempt it myself. That is unless it was made with my favorite little legume.
I can never say enough good things about lentils. Full of fiber, protein, iron, B vitamins, the list goes on. The boy next door in the world of meatless plant proteins.
- 1 cup brown lentils, dried
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tbsp red wine, or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- Combine lentils and water in a medium stockpot over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Drain excess water, and transfer cooked lentils to a bowl.
- Over medium heat, add oil, chopped shallot and garlic to stockpot.
- Saute 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add lentils, red wine/vinegar, and spices, and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and refrigerate at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with raw vegetables, crackers, or spread on a sandwich.
- Category: Dips, Spreads
[Tweet “Whip up a protein-packed #vegetarian and #vegan pate in minutes!”]
Now doesn’t a vegetarian pate sound much better than brown lentil spread or legume dip? Just pass the Grey Poupon and caviar along the way with this one. 😉
Make it a great day!
You may also like:
Have you ever tried pate? Love it or hate it?
If you were a vodka flavor, what would you be? WATERMELON! (until peanut butter is a real thing)