- 1 cup brown lentils, dried
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tbsp red wine, or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- Combine lentils and water in a medium stockpot over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Drain excess water, and transfer cooked lentils to a bowl.
- Over medium heat, add oil, chopped shallot and garlic to stockpot.
- Saute 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add lentils, red wine/vinegar, and spices, and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and refrigerate at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with raw vegetables, crackers, or spread on a sandwich.
- Category: Dips, Spreads