Wild Blueberry Lemon & Basil Smoothie - A healthy and refreshing breakfast that's loaded with antioxidants. Tastes like a sip of summer in a glass!
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the Wild Blueberry Association of North America and I am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Hold on to your long johns and cable knits, because we about to get W.I.L.D.
When miss Kara reached out to me about the Wild Blueberry smoothie contest, I knew as a newly proclaimed Main-er, I was obligated to REPRESENT!...and show our heritage fruit what I could do.
And what better time to protect our all mighty immunities from grubby little hands and crusty nostrils than some antizzy-oxidants.
In the form of nature's cold-eeze.. Blueberries.
Especially the Spring break variety. Otherwise known as wild blueberries.
Wild schmild. Wondering what the bloob-ing difference between a wild and a cultivated blueberry is?
Besides sporting a butterfly lower back tattoo and misdemeanor criminal record, the wild variety have much more to offer such as:
- Twice as many antioxidants -- with potential health benefits such as improved gut health, diabetes, and cancer.
- More flavor -- because this is ACTUALLY how a blueberry is supposed to taste.
- Frozen at harvest -- most wild blueberries are frozen, which helps keep those antioxidants and flavor where they're supposed to be. In your mouth, not in your hands.
And with the cold weather going anywhere but away, I need a little glass of sunshine, and cold protection when I can get it.
After loving my blueberry lemon basil hand pies of the summer so friggen much, I knew making it drinkable would help to cure my winter woes...and immediately miss the miserable humidity, mosquitoes, and sunburns of summer. I feel in love and felt immune to THE WORLD at first sip.
Wild Blueberry Lemon Basil Smoothie
- Yield: 1 smoothie 1x
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 7 basil leaves
- ½ cup ice cubes
- lemon zest and chopped basil, for garnish
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Serve in a glass, and top with lemon zest and chopped basil for garnish.
- Category: Smoothie, Breakfast, Drinks
If you wanted to give this a little more staying power for the morning, adding some protein powder, Greek yogurt, or avocado would help. Or a splash of vodka, but to each his own. 😉
[Tweet "Wake up with this refreshing Wild Blueberry Lemon Basil Smoothie! #wildyoursmoothie #ad @wildbberries"]
Make it a great day!
What's your favorite way to fight off a cold?
Favorite way to eat blueberries?
rachel @ Athletic Avocado
This combo sounds crazy good! I love blueberry and lemon together and the basil sounds even better, Thanks for sharing!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
Such a great palate cleanser with the lemon and basil!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
Basil in a smoothie!? Now that's something I have not tried!! Sounds tasty!
Thanks Tara! I'm so glad I finally gave it a go. There's no going back now! 🙂