This Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna Recipe is a healthy dinner meal idea the whole family will love!
Now you may have heard of “Taco Tuesday”, otherwise known as my favorite day of the week, I changed it up with another “Mexican” meal. Now I put that in quotes since tacos or this recipe in as authentic Mexican as taco bell.
Maybe I made Taco Tuesday up, but if you’ve heard of “Meatless Mondays”, a slogan to try to decrease your intake of meat for at least one meal a week, it’s the same deal. Except eating tacos. Which in my case are always meatless, but you get the point.
This is actually one of my favorite recipes to make and experiment with since it’s easy to make and of course is delicious! It’s called Mexican lasagna, which I’ve adapted from one of my favorite food blogs again, Oh She Glows. You can use this for a meatless Monday or taco Tuesday recipe, or have it both nights!
- 6 Corn Tortillas, cut in half
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning*
- 1 (15 oz) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 (15 oz) enchilada sauce*
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, and taco seasoning. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix refried beans with 4 tbsp of enchilada sauce to make easier for spreading.
- In a 9×9 glass baking dish, spoon 1/3 of the enchilada sauce to cover bottom.
- Arrange 4 tortilla halves to fit dish.
- Top with 1/3 of refried beans.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of black bean mixture over refried beans.
- Top with 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Repeat process twice more, ending with 1/4 cup cheese sprinkled on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
* Make sure seasonings used are GF.
Veganize: Substitute cheese for non-dairy alternatives or nutritional yeast.
Carnivorize: Replace half of beans with cooked ground turkey or shredded/diced chicken.
- Category: Main Dish
Break out the sombreros and mariachi band! It’s time fore a Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna fiesta!
[Tweet “Break out the sombreros and mariachi band! It’s time fore a Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna fiesta!”]
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite mexican dish?
Corn or flour tortillas?