These Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are made with no added sugar or oil, and can easily be made gluten-free as well. An easy and healthy recipe for breakfast or afternoon snack!
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water (1 flax egg)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup oat flour (1 cup oats blended into powder)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Mix flax and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine soy milk and vinegar (to make buttermilk).
- Mix oats into prepared buttermilk.
- Let oats soak on counter for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick spray, or line with muffin liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add mashed banana, vanilla, and flax egg to oat mixture. Stir in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips, and spoon into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Remove muffins from pan and let cool completely on wire cooling rack before storing.
- use certified gluten-free oats and chocolate chips if needed.
- can use low-fat milk, regular egg, and any chocolate chips if not strictly vegan.
- can use whole wheat or all-purpose flour in place of oat flour, but may need to add additional milk if batter is too thick.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Category: Baked Goods
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 62
- Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 19
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 3
Keywords: vegan, baked goods, banana, chocolate chip, snack, breakfast, muffin