Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins — No added sugar, flour, or oil makes this recipe healthy enough for breakfast! Plus a trick to make them super moist each time. #vegan #glutenfree
Ladies and gentlemen, this is Mambo Number 5.
First off, I have no idea where that so called intro came from. Second of all, I am hoping that all y’all are the legal age to remember that song.
Everyone have a pleasant Mother’s Day? I think the best gift of all was how exponentially awesome the weather was. We’re talking over 80 degrees here. I even had to dust off a tank top from the depths of my dresser and wear less than a full snowsuit to bed. I guess April (snow) showers bring.. May ..it actually be Spring? Like for real? For real for real?
Which makes me laugh at the fact that I had to shovel this post out of the draft pile from February. Poor little post. But I just couldn’t pass up sharing the glorious-ness it entails.
Aww yeahh. Choco to the late. This is my staple muffin recipe that makes the most moist, flavorful, and all around best portable token of food love. I guess you could call it the love muffin. Remind me to rename them that the next time I make them. Especially when I deliver them to the firehouse 😉
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water (1 flax egg)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup oat flour (1 cup oats blended into powder)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- 1½ ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- Mix flax and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine soy milk and vinegar (to make buttermilk).
- Add oats to a medium-sized bowl and mix with prepared buttermilk.
- Let oats soak on counter for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add oat mixture, mashed banana, and vanilla to dry ingredients.
- Stir until just combined.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Portion evenly into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Remove muffins from pan and cool additionally on cooling rack.
Carnivorize: You can use a regular egg in place of flax egg, and regular buttermilk for soy milk and vinegar.
De-glutify: Use certified GF oats and chocolate chips.
The secret is really in soaking the oats in the buttermilk. I was a bit skeeved out about leaving them sitting out on the counter, but my food safety mind said it is not over the dangerous 4 hour time frame AND they would be fully baked afterwards.
And maybe once the smell of these coming out of the oven hit me, I forgot all about it. Chocolate has a good way of doing that to me.
I’ve made these with applesauce instead of banana. Or pumpkin is always in a plus in my book. Which is why these cuties are so versatile and lovable. Poppable. Un-friggen-stoppable.
Make it a great day!
Do anything special for Mother’s Day?
Favorite muffin flavor?