This ultimate vegan cheesesteak recipe is packed full of protein without the meat! Made with mushrooms, tofu, and a nut free vegan cheese sauce for the ultimate plant based sandwich.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 (14 ounce) block firm tofu, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package sliced portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 4 sourdough rolls
- Heat oil in large saucepan over high heat.
- Add peppers and onions, and saute until soft ~ about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Add tofu and mushrooms to the pan, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in soy sauce, pepper, and thyme, and stir to coat.
- Add peppers and onions, and remove from heat.
- Cut rolls in half lengthwise, and will with tofu mixture.
- Top each with salt and pepper if desired, and prepared cheese sauce.
- For a vegetarian option, top with sliced provolone instead of cheese sauce.
- Mixture makes enough for 2-4 sandwiches, depending on appetite.
- Store leftover tofu mixture in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Category: sandwich, vegan
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: vegan
Keywords: sandwich, vegan, vegetarian, tofu, mushroom, recipe