Strawberry Rhubarb Overnight Oats Recipe -- A healthy spring-inspired and make-ahead breakfast for busy mornings. The warm fruit compote topping is what makes this!
This post was originally published in 2016, but has since been updated.
I'd be lying if I told you these overnight oats haven't been chillin' (literally) in my fridge for almost a week. But that's the best part about them…no matter how busy you get, or how many times they get pushed to the dark abyss of the fridge, or how many stores and/or grocery trips it takes you to find fresh rhubarb (not like I have any experience or anything) …they'll be there waiting for you. Creamy and cold as ever, waiting for you to tell them how awesome and lifesaving they are.
And because you prep them the night before, in a hipster-approved mason jar, they're ready to go even if your coffee-deprived, snooze-buttoned, bed-hair-don't-care self ain't quite ready to take on the Monday world yet.
..And although cold and creamy is all well and good, I like me some combos. Peanut butter + jelly. Sweet + salty. Snapchat + selfies.And the most fairest of them all.. Hot + cold.Which is why I knew making a quick and easy strawberry rhubarb compote was going to make this breakfast exponentially greater than just stirring some chopped fruit into my forgotten jar of hipster oats.
Money-Saving Tips for this Strawberry Rhubarb Overnight Oats Recipe:
- Buy in bulk. Items such as oats and yogurt are a better deal when bought in bulk. Opt for the bigger containers to get more for your money.
- Compare prices. Are fresh strawberries on sale this week? If not, buying frozen instead may be cheaper. Compare unit prices to see what the better deal is.
more oatmeal recipes:
London Fog Latte Oatmeal
Baked Apple Oatmeal Cups
Cheddar Herb Savory Overnight Oats
Strawberry Rhubarb Overnight Oats
- Total Time: 10 min
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
A healthy spring-inspired and make-ahead breakfast for busy mornings. The warm fruit compote topping is what makes this!
- ½ cup oats*
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 6 medium strawberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Combine all oatmeal ingredients in a jar or container with a lid, stirring well. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, heat a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped rhubarb, strawberries, and water.
- Cook 3-5 minutes, or until fruit is softened and cooked down.
- Add honey, and remove from heat.
- Add fruit to top of oatmeal and serve.
* use certified gluten-free oats if needed.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: breakfast
- Method: no-cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry, rhubarb, oat, breakfast, make ahead, vegetarian, gluten free
Pin this to your Breakfast board!
Make it a great day!
Are you a strawberry rhubarb fan?
What's your favorite way to eat oatmeal?
Linz @ Itz Linz
ok confession - i've never had rhubarb!!
Now's your time Linz! 😀 Adding it to something sweet like strawberries helps cut down on it's sourness.
Shashi @ RunninSrilankan
I usually have breakfast at home but love to just grab something out of the fridge in my morning stupor! And this would be lovely to pair with a steaming cuppa!
This looks awesome. I have been patiently waiting to see rhubarb at the market, but so far no luck. I can't wait to get some and try this recipe out.
Hopefully you'll get your hands on some soon! Let me know if you get to try them out!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
I'm seeing strawberry rhubarb all over the place and I totally need to get my hands on some! 🙂
Jessica @ Nutritioulicious
I love all things strawberry rhubarb! 'Tis the season!
i love the compote! i really like rhubarb but rarely eat it because it's overly sweetened most places that you find it. love the easy recipe!!
I loved this and I don't even like oatmeal! It hit all the taste buds with the hot, cold, sweet, sour. Delicious!!! Thank you so much for the recipe! I am sharing it at my weight loss group tonight!!