- 1 medium acorn squash, cut in half and deseeded
- 1 (8 ounce) package tempeh, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons water or tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped green onion, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray cut acorn squash with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place cut side down on a baking sheet, and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until tender.
- While the squash is baking, heat a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add oil and garlic, and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add finely chopped tempeh, and sautee 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, water, liquid smoke, and soy sauce to combine. Remove from heat.
- Once squash is cooked, add half of tempeh mixture to each squash.
- Sprinkle with green onion and serve.
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, tempeh, squash, fall, thanksgiving, main dish