This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ChooseMazola #CollectiveBias
This Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe is made healthier with three simple ingredient swaps, and all in one bowl!
Do you know what September is? Besides the unofficial kickoff to pumpkin spice latte season, it’s also National Cholesterol Awareness Month! High cholesterol runs in my family, so I’m always mindful about adding more foods that can help lower cholesterol into my diet. Things like oats, beans, nuts, and lighter cooking oils. Olive oil may get the spotlight a lot of times, but did you know research has shown that Mazola® Corn Oil can help reduce cholesterol as much as 2x more than extra virgin olive oil?
To learn more about this claim, see Mazola.com.
That’s why I’m making some better-for-you swaps on an easy pumpkin bread recipe that can be made all in one bowl! You can reduce saturated fats and cholesterol in your meals easily with simple swaps, such as substituting butter with Mazola Corn Oil.
Why This Recipe Works
Using a whole can of pumpkin means no weird amounts of leftover pumpkin!Swapping out brown sugar for maple syrup and lots of pumpkin-inspired spices means all the fall flavor, with less sugar overall.Swapping out the all-purpose flour for white whole wheat adds fiber, and using Mazola Corn Oil instead of melted butter for less saturated fat.
Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family.*See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. It has a variety of uses including baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing.
*If you like this recipe, check out this One Bowl Apple Bread, too!*
How to Make this One Bowl Easy Pumpkin Bread
Start by preheating your oven to 375°F, and coating an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan with non-stick spray, and setting aside.In a large mixing bowl, sift or whisk together 2 cups of white whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
Stir in 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling), 1/3 cup of Mazola corn oil, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1/4 cup water, and 2 eggs until fully combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds and additional cinnamon if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Sift the dry ingredients first. This helps easily mix them together, but you can also whisk them together if you don’t have a sifter.
- If you don’t have white whole wheat flour, use half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour instead.
- Bake this even faster by making into muffins instead. They will bake in about half the time.
Can I make this vegan?
Yes. Make it vegan-friendly by swapping out the eggs for 2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water per egg) instead.
What if I don’t have white whole wheat flour?
You can use 1 cup of all-purpose, and 1 cup of whole wheat flour instead. Using all whole-wheat flour that isn’t the white whole wheat flour results in a much more dense bread with a distinct flavor.
Can I make these into muffins?
Absolutely! Grease or paper line a muffin tin of 12, add batter, and bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
What if I don’t have pumpkin pie spice?
Find out how to easily make your own, here!
Money-Saving Tips for this Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe:
Buy in bulk. Purchase ingredients such as flour, spices, and oil in larger containers for a more cost-effective option. You can use the leftover flour for baking, and the corn oil as an all-purpose, more heart-healthy* cooking *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health.
more pumpkin recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Rate & leave a comment below to let me know how it turned out!
Pin this to your Baked Goods board!Print
This Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe is made healthier with three simple ingredient swaps, and all in one bowl! The perfect treat full of fall flavor!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/3 cup Mazola corn oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8.5×4.5 loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Add pumpkin, oil, maple syrup, water, and eggs, and stir until fully combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan, and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, if using, and additional cinnamon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup all-purpose flour can be used in place of white whole wheat flour.
- Make these into muffins instead by lining a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or coating with spray, and baking for 20-25 minutes.
- Optional stir-ins include chopped walnuts, dried cranberries, or dark chocolate chips.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Baked Goods
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 217
- Fat: 7.5
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 23
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 31
Keywords: pumpkin, bread, fall, desserts, baked goods, mazola