Mixed Berry Oatmeal Bars Recipe — A healthy summer dessert made with fresh berries, whole grain oats, brown sugar, and an irresistible crumble topping. (Vegan, Nut-Free, Dairy-Free)
If you haven’t read up on my horoscope yet (ie: Get on that), you should know that Libra’s are notoriously B.I.G on indecisiveness. You wouldn’t believe me if I told you how long it took me to decide on how to frame the sentence above. Or would you? Gah, IDK!
So naturally, I couldn’t decide what berry I wanted to put into this oatmeal bar recipe. And naturally I did what I do 99% of the time in this type of situation: ADD IT ALL.
Let’s just say having a bag of frozen mixed berries staring me point blank in the face in the freezer may have had some persuasion power.
I actually made these bars for my a retirement tea party for my boss, using the recipe book her dad created back when you needed a typewriter to put together a classy cookbook.
Oatmeal bars are the kind of dessert that tiptoes around the idea that they are an acceptable breakfast. I can tell you with my utmost confidence these ones totally do. Use me as a reference if anyone questions you.
If a chocolate chip gets a free ticket to ride into breakfast, than these bars deserve a front row center seat. There’s fruit. There’s oats. And brown sugar. Everyone knows that’s the cornerstone to a balanced breakfast…just don’t use me as a reference on that one. 😉
- Fresh or frozen berries can be used, as well as any type of berry you’d like if you’re not so indecisive like me. Do not thaw the berries if using frozen, and add an extra teaspoon of sugar if using fresh.
- If you want a thicker bar, you can make these in a loaf pan instead. The cook time may be a 5-10 minutes longer.
- Need to make them gluten-free? Simply swap out the flour for a gluten-free alternative, and use certified gluten-free oats.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted**
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper or cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats, flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add vanilla and coconut oil, and stir until crumbly.
- Press 2/3 of mixture into bottom of prepared baking pan.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Pour over prepared crust, and top with remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly and topping is browned.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes in pan before cutting into squares.
* regular white flour may be used instead.
*melted butter/buttery spread or canola/avocado oil can be used instead.
Pin this recipe for later!
Looking for more summer-inspired desserts?
You May Also Like:
Make it a great day!
Do you have a favorite summer dessert?
Blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries?