Meal Prep BBQ Chicken Salad Bowls -- A quick and easy meal to prep for the week ahead! Makes for a satisfying lunch or light dinner.
This post was originally published in 2018, but has since been updated.
Oh, meal prep. sigh. Who feels me?
Here's the thing. I am an A+ student when it comes to the planning part. Like 12 post-it notes with the same grocery list kinda A+ student. The execution though? We're pushing a solid D+. Extra credit included. But, taking the extra 30 minutes to an hour to prep ahead some meals like these BBQ Chicken Salad Bowls for the week ahead saves me time, stress, and embarrassingly loud stomach rumbles at 3 o'clock.
Why This Recipe Works
Using leftover rotisserie chicken makes this recipe super quick to prep.
Add whatever veggies you have on hand or prefer.
Make a few of these salads at a time to have lunch for the week.
How To Make These BBQ Chicken Salad Bowls
Start by chopping a large sweet potato into cubes, leaving the skin on. Roast them in the oven, or use my favorite method of an indoor grill for those awesome grill marks.
Combine shredded chicken with ½ cup of BBQ sauce. If I don't have time to bake off chicken ahead of time, I'll pick up a rotisserie chicken instead. I also look for a lower-sugar BBQ sauce, since a lot of them can be super high in added sugars and corn syrups. Stubb's is usually my go-to (not sponsored, just the lowest sugar option I can find!)
In three meal-prep bowls, add chopped romaine, fresh or frozen (and thawed) corn, the grilled sweet potatoes, and BBQ chicken. Now you have three meals ready to go for the week!
- Cook and shred chicken ahead of time, or use a rotisserie chicken to cut down on prep time.
- Prep a batch of the grilled sweet potatoes for these meal prep bowls, and the week ahead!
- Add your favorite salad dressing (like this Greek Yogurt Parmesan Peppercorn) just before serving to prevent them from getting too soggy.
Do I have to use chicken?
Absolutely not! Swap it out for ground turkey, lentils, tofu, or whatever protein you're feeling (aka is on sale that week)
How long do these stay good for?
These salads can stay good for up to four days in the refrigerator. Keeping the chicken away from the lettuce helps prevent it from getting soggy, too.
Money-Saving Tips for these BBQ Chicken Salad Bowls:
- Buy in bulk. If you're going to prep more of these, or eat chicken regularly, buy the big package. The family packs cost less per pound, so is a better deal. You can also freeze what you don't cook if you have the room.
- Prep yourself. Rotisserie chicken is the exception since they are often relatively inexpensive. Buying pre-chopped romaine or lettuce however, can be more pricey. Save a few extra $$, and wash/chop it yourself.
- Use frozen. If fresh corn isn't on sale, or doesn't look good, opt for frozen. Not only is it convenient, but inexpensive, and just as nutritious.
more quick meal-prep recipes:
Black Pepper and Cranberry Turkey Sandwich
Did you make this recipe? Rate & leave a comment below to let me know how it turned out!
Pin This to Your Lunch Board!Print
Meal Prep Shredded BBQ Chicken Salad Bowls
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
Meal Prep BBQ Chicken Salad Bowls -- A quick & easy healthy meal to prep for the week ahead. Made with shredded BBQ chicken, romaine, grilled sweet potatoes, and frozen corn.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 5 cups romaine, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- Prepare sweet potato by cooking on indoor grill, or bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken and BBQ sauce. Set aside.
- In preferred meal prep bowls, divide lettuce evenly.
- Top with prepared sweet potatoes, chicken, and corn.
Add avocado for even more filling power.
Make plant-based by substituting chicken for grilled tofu or favorite plant protein.
Use rotisserie chicken to make this meal even faster to prepare.
- Prep Time: 15 minute
- Cook Time: 20 minute
- Category: Salad
- Method: Assemble
- Cuisine: BBQ
- Serving Size: 1 Salad
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 15
- Sodium: 681
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 34
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 46
- Cholesterol: 119
Keywords: BBQ, Chicken, Salad, Lunch, Meal Prep
Make it a great day!
Do you do any meal prep on the weekends?
What's your favorite lunch?
Love this recipe! Meal prep can actually be fun and so many flavourful recipes like this one!
Is there anything better than BBQ chicken? Yes, BBQ chicken easy and at the ready!
I love this idea!! As much as I love food prep, I get a D+ on precise meal prep too...
I just say there's more room for improvement. 🙂
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
Love this! Perfect for a busy week!