- 1 cup whole wheat or gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- pinch each of cayenne pepper, nutmeg, garlic powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) Cabot Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) Cabot Sharp Extra Light Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Jalapeno Poppers:
- 12 jalapenos, sliced lengthwise & deseeded
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup panko or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- pinch cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, add milk, mustard, spices, and pasta.
- Heat on stove top over medium heat, and bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Lower heat to low, and continue to stir until milk is absorbed and pasta is tender ~15 minutes.
- Add more milk if needed until pasta is fully cooked.
- Stir in cheese until melted through.
- Spoon macaroni into prepared jalapeno halves, and place on a baking sheet.
- Store poppers in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together egg, and 2 tbsp milk.
- In another shallow dish, stir breadcrumbs and cayenne pepper together.
- Remove peppers from the freezer.
- Dip each pepper half in egg wash followed by breadcrumbs.
- Place back on baking tray, and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately.
- Category: snack, appetizer
- Serving Size: 3 poppers