Macaroni & Cheese Jalapeno Poppers Recipe — A creamy & spicy appetizer like no other! Perfect for game day or any celebration!
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe challenge sponsored by Cabot Creamery and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Have I got a treat for you! I’m like really excited to share this masterpiece with you. Like seriously. It’s ballin’. I haven’t been this excited since winter was over.
Just kidding. We only have a 2 feet of snow blizzard coming our way on top of the 7 and 1/2 times I already shoveled this weekend.
And that’s when the food gods came down and exploded this genius into my brain.
Game time. What to make.
Pizza? Been there. Done that.
Tater skins? I don’t do bacon.
Jalapeno poppers? Getting there…
MAC AND CHEESE JALAPENO POPPERS?!?!
I was inspired by the white on rice couple for making an easy mac & cheese to stuff these spicy little numbers with. One pot, but oh so creamy.
Here’s the stats on these caliente Cabot babies!
Sinful Nutrition Stats:
-Lower in fat/calories
-Higher in fiber
-Source of calcium
-Baked instead of fried
- 1 cup whole wheat or gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- pinch each of cayenne pepper, nutmeg, garlic powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) Cabot Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) Cabot Sharp Extra Light Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Jalapeno Poppers:
- 12 jalapenos, sliced lengthwise & deseeded
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup panko or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- pinch cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, add milk, mustard, spices, and pasta.
- Heat on stove top over medium heat, and bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Lower heat to low, and continue to stir until milk is absorbed and pasta is tender ~15 minutes.
- Add more milk if needed until pasta is fully cooked.
- Stir in cheese until melted through.
- Spoon macaroni into prepared jalapeno halves, and place on a baking sheet.
- Store poppers in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together egg, and 2 tbsp milk.
- In another shallow dish, stir breadcrumbs and cayenne pepper together.
- Remove peppers from the freezer.
- Dip each pepper half in egg wash followed by breadcrumbs.
- Place back on baking tray, and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately.
- Category: snack, appetizer
- Serving Size: 3 poppers
[Tweet “A #gameday party in one bite! Mac and Cheese Jalapeno Poppers #ad @cabot”]
If you’re looking for some other quick & healthier big game recipes, check out all the other great Cabot entries below!
[inlinkz_linkup id=482636 mode=1]
Or try on my Gluten-Free Party Mix & Buffalo Sweet Potato Fries on for size!
Make it a great day!
New England, Seattle, or what the heck am I talking about?
Favorite kind of cheese?