Two Italian favorites in one recipe! Eggplant parm noodles make this lasagna a healthy dinner that’s both low-carb and gluten-free.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced thinly lengthwise (about 18 slices)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup Italian gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese.
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Thinly slice eggplant, and place on a clean cutting surface.
- Sprinkle with salt, and let sit for 30 minutes to remove moisture.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and cover two large baking sheets with foil.
- Pour milk in a shallow dish, and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dish.
- Dip each eggplant slice in milk, followed by breadcrumbs to coat.
- Shake off excess, and move to baking sheet.
- Repeat for all eggplant, and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool.
- While eggplant bakes, heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ground turkey, and cook through.
- Add tomato sauce, and remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta and egg until smooth.
- Add a large spoonful of sauce to a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
- Layer eggplant slices to cover dish.
- Add 1/2 ricotta mixture to eggplant, and spread evenly.
- Top with 1/3 of shredded cheese.
- Repeat process, and end with adding remaining eggplant slices topped with remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Category: main dish
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: eggplant, lasagna, pasta, low carb, gluten free, dinner, main dish, entree