Vegan Lentil Cauliflower Tacos -- A simple and healthy plant-based recipe full of fiber, protein, veggies, and flavor! All made in one skillet in under 30 minutes!
This recipe was originally posted in 2018, but has since been updated.
Why we gotta limit happy to an hour? Why we gotta limit tacos to Tuesday? Let us enjoy tacos and margaritas for 3 hours on a Monday. Damn, I feel so liberated now.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about adding more veggies to every day, but I like my pizza to be pizza. And my rice to be starchy. So I bet you're wondering why the hell I'd make tacos with cauliflower after all this ranting is done with.
It tastes good.
What makes these cauliflower tacos delicious and healthy
- olive oil
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
- tomato paste
How to make these lentil cauliflower tacos:
Chop a small head of cauliflower into rough pieces. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add chopped cauliflower, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add ¼ cup of water to the pan, cover, and let cauliflower cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
Add two cloves of minced garlic to the pan, cook for 30 seconds, and remove from heat. Add mixture to the bowl of a food processor. Add 1 cup of cooked lentils, and pulse mixture 3-4 times, or until roughly chopped. Add mixture to same skillet, and heat over low.
Add 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in a 6-ounce can of tomato paste, and 1 cup of water, and cook until heated through. Serve mixture in preferred taco shells, and top with desired toppings, such as avocado, cilantro, or a squeeze of lime juice.
- Use canned lentils that have been drained to make these super quick and easy.
- This can be done without a food processor as well, but will have a different texture.
- My favorite topping include Greek yogurt, chopped green onion, and diced avocado.
Can you freeze the taco mixture?
I haven't tried freezing the taco 'meat', but would imagine it would freeze fine. Just make sure the mixture is completely cooled before transferring to a freezer-safe container.
How long does the mixture keep for?
If kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator, the taco 'meat' should keep for up to 4 days.
Money-Saving Tips for these Lentil Cauliflower Tacos:
- Use store brands. Utilizing store brands for basics such as spices, tomato paste, and lentils can be an easy way to save money without sacrificing flavor or quality.
- Swap frozen for fresh. If fresh cauliflower is expensive, swap it out for frozen florets. Allow it to defrost, chop, and cook in the pan the same as fresh. The cooking time will be less.
more taco recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a comment & rate to let me know how it turned out!
Pin this to your Tacos board!Print
INSPIRED BY FOOD & NUTRITION
Make it a great day!
What's your favorite kind of taco?
Soft shell or hard shell?