How to make homemade tortilla chips right in the microwave! All you need is 3 simple ingredients for a quick & healthy snack made in less than 5 minutes!
Me and tortilla chips have a thing. A once-I start-I-sure-as-hell-ain’t-gunna-stop…thing.
It’s a problem, but I’m not at a point in my life that I’m ready to change it. What do I do instead? Find a way to make my own in 5 minutes so I can have them hot and fresh whenever I damn well please. Like I said, it’s a problem.
Watch how to make these homemade tortilla chips in the microwave (40 sec)
This discovery actually happened by accident, but that’s how all great discoveries are found, right?
Microwaving your corn tortillas just a little too long results in a rubbery taco. Microwaving waaaaay too long results in the freshest homemade tortilla chips your mouth has ever witnessed. From. The. Microwave.
How to make homemade tortilla chips in the microwave:
- Cut corn tortillas into quarters.
- Coat with oil.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Microwave until crispy.
If you want to take them TO ANOTHA LEVELLLL! Here’s some flavor combos that would make a mighty fine chip:
- Squeeze of lime juice + salt + chili powder for a little somethin’ festive.
- Cinnamon + sugar (instead of salt) for a little somethin’ sweet.
- Chili powder + a pinch of cayenne for a little somethin’ spicy.
Money-Saving Tips for these Homemade Tortilla Chips:
- Buy in bulk. Purchasing the bigger packages of corn tortillas tend to give you more for your money. Find more recipes below to use with your tortilla chips so you can make more!
- Buy store brands. Utilizing store brands for cooking sprays and salt can be more cost effective without sacrificing flavor or quality.
more appetizer recipes:Print
All you need is 3 simple ingredients for a quick & healthy snack made in less than 5 minutes!
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Lay cut tortillas evenly on a plate, doing your best not to overlap.
- Spray evenly with cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt.
- Flip tortillas over, and repeat.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove plate from microwave with oven mitts (plate will be very hot!)
- Flip chips, and return to microwave for additional minute, keeping a close eye to prevent burning.
- Remove plate carefully with oven mitts, and serve chips with favorite dip immediately.
- Chips are best served immediately, but can be kept in a cool, place in a resealable container overnight.
- Standby when chips are cooking to make sure they do not burn.
- Let plate cool for 2-3 minutes before serving. It will be very hot out of the microwave.
- Category: appetizer
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: corn, tortilla, chips, appetizer, snack, gluten free, vegetarian, vegan
Pin this to your Appetizer board!
Make it a great day!
Potato chips or tortilla chips?
What’s your favorite chip dip?