How to make homemade tortilla chips right in the microwave! All you need is 3 simple ingredients for a quick & healthy snack made in less than 5 minutes!
Me and tortilla chips have a thing. A once-I start-I-sure-as-hell-ain’t-gunna-stop…thing.
It’s a problem, but I’m not at a point in my life that I’m ready to change it. What do I do instead? Find a way to make my own in 5 minutes so I can have them hot and fresh whenever I damn well please. Like I said, it’s a problem.
What makes these homemade tortilla chips delicious & healthy
- Corn tortillas
- cooking spray or oil
How to make homemade tortilla chips in the microwave:
Cut 3 corn tortillas into quarters. Spread evenly on a large plate, and coat with cooking spray or a thin coating of vegetable oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and turn tortillas over. Repeat process of cooking spray and salt, and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Remove plate carefully (using a pot holder), flip chips, and microwave for additional minute, or until crispy. Carefully remove plate & serve with favorite dip.
If you want to take them TO ANOTHA LEVELLLL! Here’s some flavor combos that would make a mighty fine chip:
- Squeeze of lime juice + salt + chili powder for a little somethin’ festive.
- Cinnamon + sugar (instead of salt) for a little somethin’ sweet.
- Chili powder + a pinch of cayenne for a little somethin’ spicy.
- Don’t go too far while these are cooking. They go from soggy to burnt VERY quickly, so keep a close eye on them.
- The plate is going to be EXTREMELY hot after they’re done cooking. Use caution & a pot holder to remove the plate from the microwave.
- A drizzle of lime juice & chili powder right after they finish cooking is my FAVE combo.
Can you make homemade tortilla chips with flour tortillas?
I haven’t tried with flour tortillas, but have made them with pita bread, and would imagine flour tortillas would work just as well.
How long do these tortilla chips last?
If kept in an airtight container, they will last for up to a week. After that, they start to turn chewy, or will do the same if not stored properly.
Are homemade tortilla chips healthy?
Since these chips aren’t fried, they can be a healthier alternative to traditional tortilla chips. You also are in control of how much salt you add, and can control how much sodium they contain. PLUS they are thicker & can hold extra guac LIKE. A. BOSS.
Money-Saving Tips for these Homemade Tortilla Chips:
- Buy in bulk. Purchasing the bigger packages of corn tortillas tend to give you more for your money. Find more recipes below to use with your tortilla chips so you can make more!
- Buy store brands. Utilizing store brands for cooking sprays and salt can be more cost effective without sacrificing flavor or quality.
more appetizer recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a comment & a rating to let me know how it turned out!
Pin this to your Appetizer or Snack board!Print
All you need is 3 simple ingredients for a quick & healthy snack made in less than 5 minutes!
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Lay cut tortillas evenly on a plate, doing your best not to overlap.
- Spray evenly with cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt.
- Flip tortillas over, and repeat.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove plate from microwave with oven mitts (plate will be very hot!)
- Flip chips, and return to microwave for additional minute, keeping a close eye to prevent burning.
- Remove plate carefully with oven mitts, and serve chips with favorite dip immediately.
- Chips are best served immediately, but can be kept in a cool, place in a resealable container overnight.
- Standby when chips are cooking to make sure they do not burn.
- Let plate cool for 2-3 minutes before serving. It will be very hot out of the microwave.
- Category: appetizer
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 6 chips
- Calories: 82
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 298
- Fat: 2
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: corn, tortilla, chips, appetizer, snack, gluten free, vegetarian, vegan
Make it a great day!
Potato chips or tortilla chips?
What’s your favorite chip dip?