Homemade Tempeh Bacon — An easy plant-based recipe made in 15 minutes, no oven, or marinating time required! The perfect smoky and crispy addition to breakfast, a sandwich, salad, and more!
Vegan Bacon. An oxymoron? An insult? Stroke of genius?
I’ll let you take your side. I’ll be here eating my vegan bacon until you decide how your feel.
Honestly, I never saw the point of all the faux-meats out there. If you’re a vegetarian/vegan, why would you WANT a burger that tasted like char-grilled flesh?
But before I went veg, and to this day, I’m not a fan of bacon. There I said it.
I don’t see the obsession. I can relate to the way people worship the ground this slab of pig walks on only because peanut butter exists.
But I like this tempeh bacon simply because it doesn’t actually taste like bacon.
It’s got that smoky, peppery char like bacon, but it doesn’t permeate your walls full of its stench for a week and half like bacon does. Or have a double cult following like the OG does. Wow, I sure talk a hellluva lot about bacon for hating it don’t I?
I’m such a tempeh pusher too. Consider this the gateway drug of fermented soybean euphoria.
- Cutting the block of tempeh in half (width-wise) before slicing makes it a lot easier to keep the slices together in one piece. I usually get about 30 slices total per block.
- If you have any marinade leftover at the end, baste your strips with it for extra flavor.
- Adjust the pepper, paprika, and maple syrup depending on how smoky, spicy, and sweet you like your non-bacon tasting bacon.
- 8 ounces tempeh, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- In a shallow dish, combine all ingredients besides the tempeh.
- Add as many slices of the tempeh to the mixture as you can.
- Let sit for 1-2 minutes, then flip.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Transfer tempeh from marinade to pan, and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
- Repeat process until all tempeh is used.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack or paper towel-lined plate until ready to serve.
- Category: Vegan
Inspired by Simple Vegan Blog
[Tweet “Make your own #tempeh #bacon at home in just 15 minutes! #vegan”]
Looking for more tempeh recipes?
You may also like:
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite way to use bacon?
Have you ever given tempeh try? What are your thoughts?