These healthy homemade pita chips are made right in the microwave! They only require two simple ingredients & 5 minutes to make into a crunchy, satisfying snack!
I'm at it again. I'm beginning to think they were right with that "you can't have just one" talk when it comes to chips. Although, I have to give credit to my Mom for this recipe. After my homemade tortilla chips recipe, she came up with the idea of making homemade pita chips instead using the same method - THE MICROWAVE. You sure know how to make a food blogging daughter proud.
What makes these pita chips delicious & healthy
- pita bread
- cooking spray
- sea salt
- cinnamon sugar (optional)
- garlic powder (optional)
- Italian seasoning (optional)
How To Make Homemade Pita Chips In the Microwave
Start by cutting the 2 pockets of pita bread into 8 even pieces, kind of like you would cut a pizza. You'll want to peel each piece apart into two layers, and spreading out on a microwave-safe plate.
Spray chips with cooking spray, and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of sea salt, repeating the process after flipping chips over. If you want a different flavor, you can combine ¼ teaspoon each of of cinnamon and sugar or ¼ teaspoon each of garlic powder, sea salt, and Italian seasoning to use instead.
Microwave on high for 3-5 minutes, depending on the strength of your microwave until chips are crispy. IMPORTANT: Keep a close eye on them during the cooking process to make sure they do not burn.
*If you love these, you're gunna want to make this 5 Minute Homemade Hummus to go with them ASAP.*
- Use a oven mitt to remove the plate from the microwave. It's going to be super hot, and you don't want to burn your hands. You'll need them to eat a plate full of pita chips, which is a lot more fun than third degree burns.
- Coating the chips evenly with oil spray results in a crispier chip, so spray as you would a young child with sunscreen. If you miss a spot, it shows.
- Chips stay crispy for up to 5 days after making them. Storing in a sealed container like a zip top bag or glass container with a lid helps to keep them fresh (ta death) and crispy....if they last that long.
What kind of pita bread do I use?
You can use either whole wheat or white pita bread to make these. Whole wheat will result in a nuttier taste with a higher fiber content, while white will have a more neutral flavor and lighter texture.
Can I make them without oil?
It is possible to make these without any added oils, but the seasoning will not have anything to stick to, and can result in a less crispy chip. They are also more prone to burning quicker, so keeping a close eye during the cooking process is a must.
How do I make a thicker chip?
If you want a chip that withstand heavy dips, do not separate the layers before cooking. This will increase the cook time by 1-2 minutes, but cook until crispy. Flavor as you would with the thinner chips.
Money-Saving Tips for these Homemade Pita Chips:
- Buy store brands. Utilize store brands for pita bread and seasonings for a inexpensive option that doesn't sacrifice flavor or quality.
- Freeze ahead. If you find pita bread on sale, freeze it! Just thaw it on the counter when you want to make a batch of chips to make the most of weekly deals.
more snack recipes:
Did you make this recipe? Rate & leave a comment below to let me know how it turned out!
Pin this to your Snacks board!Print
Make it a great day!
What's your favorite kind of chip?