This healthy creamed spinach recipe is an easy & lightened up version of a classic holiday side dish made with just a few simple ingredients.
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, minced (or 1/3 yellow onion finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen spinach, thawed and drained of excess water
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup +1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add butter.
- Once melted, add garlic and shallot, and cook until softened.
- Add in spinach, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until warmed.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together Greek yogurt, milk, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- One spoonful add a time, stir spinach mixture into bowl of yogurt mixture until 1/2 of spinach is used. Add all of the yogurt mixture to the pan, and continue cooking over low heat until warmed thoroughly.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese before serving.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 115
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 562
- Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 2.5
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 0.5
- Protein: 10
- Cholesterol: 14
Keywords: spinach, side dish, vegetarian, holiday, thanksgiving