Healthy Cowboy Cookies Recipe (Vegan, Gluten-Free) — Made with only 9 ingredients, with no added oils, sugars, flours, or eggs!
And ho, ho, happy Monday to you. I hope it is slightly less messy than Maine’s current freezing rain/snow mood right meow. Hizzah for walking commutes!
So maybe the non-cookie (but equally awesome) holiday dessert roundup didn’t tickle your fancy. That’s okay, I still love you.
…and caved and made cookies anyways.
Rough and tough ’em cookies at that. They are called COWBOY cookies after all.
..but for that cowboy who makes a killer quinoa salad, buys low-sodium black beans, and has been known to attend a yoga class or two.
Cuz they be healthy AF.
I’m hosting my second annual cookie swap party this week, and with frands that have all different food preferences, intolerances, or other annoyances ( I kid!), these fit the bill for all the hey dudes at the ranch.
…Am I aging myself, or please tell me someone gets the Hey Dude reference. PLEASE.
That chocolaty drizzle is optional, but hey so are leather chaps to a cowboy. We all know what the right decision is here. 😉
Money-Saving Tips for this Healthy Cowboy Cookies Recipe:
- Use frozen bananas. Instead of throwing out those brown bananas, or succumbing to another banana bread, peel, and freeze them for this recipe. They actually work better than fresh once you thaw and mash them.
- Buy in bulk. Opt for that BIG canister of oats instead of the small one. You get more for your money, and can make a batch of these super easy energy bites or another batch of cookies with the leftovers.
- Use the snack packs. This goes against the above tip, but it’s for a good reason. Buying the applesauce in the snack-sized containers is both the exact amount you need for the recipe, and saves you from throwing away extra if you don’t eat it regularly.
More cookie recipes:Print
This healthy cowboy cookie recipe is a vegan and gluten-free dessert made with only 9 ingredients, with no added oils, sugars, flours, or eggs!
- 1 1/2 cups oats*
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet or dairy-free chocolate chips
- melted chocolate for drizzling, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add mashed banana, applesauce, and vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until combined.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.
- Press down each cookie gently with back of greased spoon or oiled hands to flatten.
- Bake 12-14 minutes, or until firm and golden brown.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if using.
- Let cook 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
*Use certified GF oats if gluten-free.
*2 large mashed bananas or 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce can be used instead.
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: cookie, recipe, dessert, healthy, vegan, gluten-free, chocolate
Inspired by averie cooks
Pin this recipe to your Cookies board!
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite type of cookie?
Yankee swap, cookie swap, or secret santa?