- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 can unsalted sardines in water, drained
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 slices bread
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced(optional)
- In a small blender or food processor, blend pesto ingredients until smooth. Set aside
- In a small bowl, mash sardines with Dijon mustard.
- Toast bread, and spread half sardine mixture on each slice.
- Top each with half of pesto mixture.
- Add hard boil egg if using, and sprinkle with additional salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Category: entree, main dish