Oh, Brussels sprouts. We hate to love them, and love to hate them. And I am perpetually forgetting that silent s on brussels.
Let’s face it, these baby cabbages have a bad run in with the law of good tasting vegetables. Their reputation of being mushy, bitter gas bombs does no justice for how delicious they can be. It’s all in how you cook ’em, baby.
Why This Recipe Works
Smashing the brussels sprouts gives them an undeniably crispy texture.
Adding fresh garlic & parmesan cheese bumps up the flavor to 11.
Pre-cooking the sprouts before roasting helps get them to the table in just 30 minutes.
Money Saving Tips for these Smashed Brussels Sprouts:
- Buy Whole Cheese: The pre-grated stuff is convenient, but more expensive. Per pound, the pre-grated cheeses cost more, and often contain added fillers and preservatives. Look for small pieces or containers of fresh parmesan, and grate it yourself with a microplane or the small side of your cheese grater. Save the rinds to flavor soups too!
- Shop the Farmer’s Market: Not only are they the freshest, but often times the cheapest when it comes to brussels sprouts. If you don’t have a farmer’s market nearby, you can still usually find fresh brussels sprouts in most supermarkets.
More veggie recipes:
Pin this to your Vegetables or Side Dishes Board!Print
These Garlic Parmesan Smashed Brussels Sprouts are an easy side dish that will have any green veggie hater changing their minds! Great for your holiday spread, or to jazz up a weeknight dinner in under 30 minutes!
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, add brussels sprouts and 1 cup of water.
- Microwave covered on high for 8-10 minutes, or until all brussels sprouts are tender.
- Drain water, and add remaining ingredients to bowl.
- Toss to coat.
- Spread brussels sprouts on a baking sheet, and press down on each with the back of a wooden spoon to flatten.
- Sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese, and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until browned.
- Category: vegetables, side dish
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 96
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 408
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 6
Keywords: brussels sprouts, vegetables, roasted, parmesan, garlic, oven, baked
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite holiday side?
What’s your favorite way to cook veggies?