Baked Garlic Bread Meatball Sub Recipe -- Italian-style meatballs nestled in buttery garlic bread, and topped with melty mozzarella. These easy, homemade meatball subs are a family favorite!
So remember that time I called my blog Sinful Nutrition?
Whelp, a lot of my recipes are about as sinful as Ash Wednesday. Sweet potato tacos, acai bowls, zucchini noodle salads...I could go on forever baby.
And now that we're waist deep in fall and football, it's time something that wraps your soul up in a fleece blanket of comfort is in dire need around these parts.
Bread. Cheese. Balls of meat. What every dietitian dreams about.
But hey, a typical Italian dinner out starts with bread dipped in herbaceous oil, before a bowl of spaghetti and sauce is mopped up with butter-sponge garlic bread, so combining the two in one sammich is actually saving you from a season long carb coma.
And I used chicken meatballs because they're healthier and I can't taste any difference.
But bread? I'm sorry, whole wheat has it's place with avocado toasts and hummus sandwiches, but no bid-ness when it comes to garlic bread.
So I suggest wearing your best flannel, rooting for your favorite team (the colts of course), and chowing down on the snuggie made for your mouth, a friggen garlic bread meatball sub recipe homie.
Money-Saving Tips for this Meatball Sub Recipe:
- Shred your own. Pre-shredded cheese is convenient, but more expensive. If you have the time, buying cheese by the block and shredding your own is both fresher and less expensive.
- Avoid pre-chopped. Pre-chopped garlic is also quick & easy, but buying a fresh head of garlic and chopping your own is more cost-effective.
- Use store brands. Opting for store brand spices tends to be a less expensive option.
more sandwich recipes:
The Ultimate Vegan Cheesesteak
Black Pepper & Cranberry Turkey SandwichPrint
Baked Garlic Bread Meatball Subs
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 3 subs 1x
Italian-style meatballs nestled in buttery garlic bread, and topped with melty mozzarella. These easy, homemade meatball subs are a family favorite!
- 1 baguette, cut into three pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, or buttery spread (I use Smart Balance)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 12 frozen chicken meatballs (I used al fresco Italian-style)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice each piece of baguette down the middle, leaving one end in tact. Make sure not to cut all the way through the bread to prevent meatballs from falling out.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, butter, and seasoning.
- Spread a tablespoon of butter in the middle of each baguette.
- Transfer to a baking sheet, and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until butter has melted. Remove from oven, and set aside.
- Add meatballs and sauce to a saucepan, and heat on medium until bubbling and heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Add four meatballs to each baguette, and spoon with sauce.
- Sprinkle each with mozzarella cheese, and bake 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: sandwiches, main dish
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: meatball, garlic, sub, sandwich, main dish, dinner, Italian
[Tweet "Two #Italian favorites in one! Baked #GarlicBread #Meatball Subs"]
Pin this to your Sandwiches Board!
Make it a great day!
What's your favorite game day food?
Favorite Italian dish?
[…] ← Previous […]
[…] Baked Garlic Bread Meatball Subs […]