Baked Garlic Bread Meatball Sub Recipe — Italian-style meatballs nestled in buttery garlic bread, and topped with melty mozzarella. These easy, homemade meatball subs are a family favorite!
So remember that time I called my blog Sinful Nutrition?
And now that we’re waist deep in fall and football, it’s time something that wraps your soul up in a fleece blanket of comfort is in dire need around these parts.
Bread. Cheese. Balls of meat. What every dietitian dreams about.
But hey, a typical Italian dinner out starts with bread dipped in herbaceous oil, before a bowl of spaghetti and sauce is mopped up with butter-sponge garlic bread, so combining the two in one sammich is actually saving you from a season long carb coma.
And I used chicken meatballs because they’re healthier and I can’t taste any difference.
But bread? I’m sorry, whole wheat has it’s place with avocado toasts and hummus sandwiches, but no bid-ness when it comes to garlic bread.
So I suggest wearing your best flannel, rooting for your favorite team (the colts of course), and chowing down on the snuggie made for your mouth, a friggen garlic bread meatball sub recipe homie.
Money-Saving Tips for this Meatball Sub Recipe:
- Shred your own. Pre-shredded cheese is convenient, but more expensive. If you have the time, buying cheese by the block and shredding your own is both fresher and less expensive.
- Avoid pre-chopped. Pre-chopped garlic is also quick & easy, but buying a fresh head of garlic and chopping your own is more cost-effective.
- Use store brands. Opting for store brand spices tends to be a less expensive option.
more sandwich recipes:Print
Italian-style meatballs nestled in buttery garlic bread, and topped with melty mozzarella. These easy, homemade meatball subs are a family favorite!
- 1 baguette, cut into three pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, or buttery spread (I use Smart Balance)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 12 frozen chicken meatballs (I used al fresco Italian-style)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice each piece of baguette down the middle, leaving one end in tact. Make sure not to cut all the way through the bread to prevent meatballs from falling out.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, butter, and seasoning.
- Spread a tablespoon of butter in the middle of each baguette.
- Transfer to a baking sheet, and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until butter has melted. Remove from oven, and set aside.
- Add meatballs and sauce to a saucepan, and heat on medium until bubbling and heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Add four meatballs to each baguette, and spoon with sauce.
- Sprinkle each with mozzarella cheese, and bake 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Category: sandwiches, main dish
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: meatball, garlic, sub, sandwich, main dish, dinner, Italian
[Tweet “Two #Italian favorites in one! Baked #GarlicBread #Meatball Subs”]
Pin this to your Sandwiches Board!
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite game day food?
Favorite Italian dish?