This Easy Dairy-Free Alfredo Sauce recipe is vegan, nut-free, & made with only 7 simple ingredients. You’ll never guess the secret ingredient!
Watch How to Make this Easy Dairy-Free Alfredo Sauce Recipe ( 54 sec)
I really have no business making an alfredo sauce recipe. I haven’t had a forkful of creamy fettuccine probably since I was 12 years old. That’s a solid decade and a half between us.
So why am I writing about alfredo? I thought you’d never ask.
I’m not too big on creamy. I’ll pass on a broccoli cheddar, take a marinara over any and all sauces, and opt for alternative milks simply because I don’t like the taste of dairy milk. But here I am. Just a girl, standing in front of alfredo, asking it to not be creamy.
But it is…except without the cream. Did I lose you? I lost you. Stick with me. I’m ready to reveal the secret basket ingredient that takes this over the edge.. POTATOES!
I’ve seen alfredo sauce recipes that use cashews or cauliflower, but I feel like those suckers get all the attention. Know what doesn’t? The humble AF potato. Let me remind you that potatoes make fries, mashed, and most importantly VODKA.
I actually don’t think that’s totally true nowadays, but don’t kill my vibe.
So yes. Potatoes. They make alfredo creamy but not creamy, and Emily a happy girl.
Money-Saving Tips for this Alfredo Sauce Recipe:
- Buy whole potatoes. Not the pre-mashed stuff. Not only are they cheaper, but you also control what goes in them.
- Use the bulk section. If I can find nutritional yeast in the middle of nowhere California in the bulk section of my grocery store, you can too. Plus, it’s much cheaper than the canister option.
- Buy refrigerated. I find the refrigerated almond milks to be more affordable, and tend to have fewer ingredients than the shelf-stable versions.
more pasta-inspired recipes:Print
This Easy Dairy-Free Alfredo Sauce recipe is vegan, nut-free, & made with only 7 simple ingredients.
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 /2 cups dairy-free milk alternative (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add potatoes and 1/4 cup of water. Heat on high for 8 minutes, or until a fork tender. Drain off water.
- Add potatoes and remaining ingredients to a blender.
- Blend on high for 1 minute, or until smooth.
- Add to pasta, or refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- If sauce is too thick or gummy, add a couple tablespoons of warm dairy-free milk, or pasta water if applicable.
- This sauce is pretty garlicky. If you’re not a big garlic fan, omit or use 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder instead.
- Using a creamy potato like a white or yukon gold helps prevent the sauce from becoming too gummy.
Keywords: sauce, pasta, dairy free, vegan, vegetarian, alfredo, potato
Pin This Recipe to Your Pasta or Sauces Board!
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite pasta sauce?
Do you have a favorite pasta shape?