Dairy-Free Penne Vodka — A vegan-friendly and easy recipe made with hummus instead of heavy cream! This is soon to be one of your all-time favorite pasta sauces.
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta*
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
- 3/4 cup Sabra sun-dried tomato hummus
- salt, to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and set aside. (reserve 1/2 cup pasta water before discarding)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add minced shallot, and cook until softened, or about 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, and cook another 30 seconds.
- Remove pan from heat, and add vodka.
- Add pan back to heat, and reduce to low .
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes, then add tomato puree and red pepper flakes.
- Let sauce simmer for 5 minutes, and stir in hummus.
- Add pasta to pan, and mix to coat.
- Use pasta water, a couple tablespoons at a time if needed if sauce is too thick.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
- can be substituted with gluten-free pasta if desired.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 526
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 336
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 10
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 103
- Fiber: 14
- Protein: 18
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan, penne, pasta, dairy free, main dish, dinner, vodka sauce