Fresh cauliflower smothered in a creamy Gruyere and Parmesan cheese sauce, and baked to crispy, bubbly perfection. The perfect holiday dinner side!
- 2 heads cauliflower, chopped
- 2 tablespoons light butter spread ( I used Smart Balance light)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1/3 + 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, separated
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt & pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Fill a large stockpot with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil.
- Add cauliflower, and steam until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add additional water if needed until cooked through.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat milk in a microwave-safe cup until warm. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add yogurt to a small bowl. Stir in a tablespoon of warmed milk. Repeat 4 more times to temper yogurt. Add tempered yogurt to remaining milk.
- In an oven-safe dutch oven or pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Sprinkle in flour, and whisk constantly until a paste forms.
- Pour in milk and yogurt mixture, whisking constantly.
- Bring to a boil, and remove from heat.
- Stir in gruyere, 1/3 cup parmesan, Dijon, salt, and pepper, and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan, breadcrumbs, and Italian seasoning.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Vegetables, Side dishes
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: cauliflower, cheese, vegetables, side dish, holiday