This easy Christmas Stollen Recipe is a hearty bread studded with dried fruit, chopped walnuts, and orange zest. The best holiday breakfast treat or even dessert!
- 2 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or butter)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup dried plums, chopped (about 8 plums)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut coconut oil (or butter) into flour until crumbs are formed.
- Mix in remaining ingredients (except powdered sugar) until combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead down 2-3 times.
- With a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 12 by 8 inch oval.
- Fold over lengthwise, and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire cooling rack, and sprinkle with confectioners sugar before serving.
* Nutrition information estimated. It may not be 100% accurate.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: German
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 119
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 26
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 7
- Cholesterol: 16
Keywords: holiday, christmas, bread, dessert, brunch, vegetarian