A hearty bread studded with dried fruit, chopped walnuts, and orange zest. The perfect holiday breakfast treat or even dessert!
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup dried plums, chopped (about 8 plums)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons ground flax + 4 tablespoons water**
- confectioners sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flax and water if using. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut coconut oil into flour until crumbs are formed.
- Mix in remaining ingredients until combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead down 2-3 times.
- With a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 12 by 8 inch oval.
- Fold over lengthwise, and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire cooling rack, and sprinkle with confectioners sugar before serving
*butter can be used instead.
** 2 large eggs can be used instead.
- Don’t over knead. Too much can result in a tough bread.
- Not vegan? You can use butter and eggs instead of the coconut oil and flax.
- Use any dried fruits and nuts you have on hand.
- Vanilla extract can be used instead of almond, but I like the extra nutty flavor it brings.
- Category: breakfast, holiday
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: german
Keywords: christmas, holidays, bread, vegetarian, baking, dessert, breakfast