This week's recipe was one I adapted from Lindsay over at The Lean Green Bean for Lentil Veggie Mac & Cheese. I didn't have any macaroni noodles, but had plenty of brown rice to spare. Kitchen experimentation initiated.
Delicious! This dish reminded me of shepherd's pie. I can't wait to eat this dish up which made quite the large amount of food. If I carried that pan around for a good bit I could have probably counted that as my workout too. I choose to eat it instead.Print
Cheesy Lentils & Rice
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 cup lentils, uncooked
- 2 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and spray a square baking dish, or cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Cook both your rice and lentils according to the package instructions.
- Once cooked, add the lentils and veggies to the rice and set aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch.
- Add milk mixture to saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Add your cheese and stir until it is melted.
- Pour over the lentils and rice and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mixture to your prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with more cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes ,or until the cheese is melted.
Veganize: Substitute milk and cheese for non-dairy alternatives.
- Category: Main Dishes, Vegetarian
- Serving Size: 1 cup
What meals did you make over the weekend?
What is one thing you are grateful for?
lovee ze binder with fruit faces!
We've still got several more items to go on zat Southern Bucket List!!
Love it girl!! <3 Keep up your good work!
Thanks Kasey! Can't wait for your next challenge! = D