This Butternut Squash Shakshuka is a healthy recipe with eggs poached in a spiced butternut squash sauce, and topped with feta and fresh herbs. A quick and easy vegetarian & gluten-free meal!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 3 cups butternut squash puree (about 1 large butternut squash)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Stir in spices and squash puree. Remove from heat.
- Make 6 wells in squash mixture, and crack an egg into each.
- Top with crumbled feta.
- Move dish to the preheated oven, and bake until eggs are just set, about 7-10 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes, and top with fresh herbs.
- Serve with toasted bread.
- You can use thawed, frozen butternut squash already pureed to make this dish super speedy. If using fresh, simply blend cooked squash with 1/3 cup water in a blender or food processor until smooth, or use my favorite simple mashed butternut squash recipe instead.
- Make sure not to overcook the eggs! They will continue to cook after removed from the oven, so bake until they look like they are just nearly cooked.
- Crumbled goat cheese works perfectly with this dish too.
- Want to make this vegan-friendly? Replace the eggs with slices of tofu, and leave out the feta.
- Category: Brunch
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 738
- Fat: 12
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 19
- Cholesterol: 294
Keywords: butternut, squash, eggs, brunch, vegetarian, gluten-free,