Healthy Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Skins – A super simple recipe that is the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. Great for game day or easy entertaining!
Are you ready for some FOOTBALLLLLL?!??!
…Yeah. me neither. If I want to see crying and drama every 5 seconds, I’ll watch Real Housewives of Orange County. Thank you very much.
(I type as I’m wearing an Indianapolis Colts shirt. But let’s just keep that our little secret.)
We all know that football game watching is 5% about the ACTUAL game, and 95% about the food. Let’s be real people.
And you can’t spell football with BUFFALO. Technically speaking, you can, but I’m all about those food metaphors, so we’re gunna go with that.
Seriously though, if you find yourself at any sporting event viewing party, and there is not a thing smothered in buffalo sauce, GET OUT. Get out as fast as you can. These are people who can’t be trusted.
I like to consider myself much like these buffalo chicken sweet potato skins. Sweet on the inside, but full of fury on the inside. …Or maybe just chicken. Let’s go with the fury, it sounds more badass.
These are probably the easiest appetizer that will appeal to both those 5% sports fans, and the 95% food fans. Oh hell, why are we even talking about sports anyways? Make these any ol’ time, and days will be made.
If you’re looking for even more party recipes, head on over to my appetizer page for inspiration!
- Microwaving the sweet potatoes instead of baking them cuts down the prep time significantly. Highly recommended.
- Dairy free? Leave out the yogurt, or top with dairy-free yogurt instead.
- Baking the sweet potato skins helps crisp them up, and hold the filling better. Don’t skip!
- Not a buffalo fan? Mix the chicken with BBQ sauce instead!
- Meat free? Swap the chicken for cubed tofu or chickpeas in place of the chicken.
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1.5 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- cooking spray
- chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub sweet potatoes, and pierce with a fork.
- Wrap each in a damp paper towel, and microwave on high for 6 minutes, or until softened.
- Let cool, cut each in half, and scrap out flesh leaving a thin layer behind.
- Place potato skins on a baking sheet, and coat each with cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine chicken, buffalo sauce, and garlic powder in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt with water or milk. Set aside.
- When potatoes are done baking, fill each with chicken mixture.
- Top each with a drizzle of yogurt, and green onions.
Want to watch how it’s made instead? Check out the video below!
Can’t see it? Watch it here!
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite game day food?
Do you prefer sweet or spicy?