Blueberry Lemon Basil Hand Pies — An easy recipe for a unique and totally portable dessert. Perfect for summer picnics!
Since my fa-ja was camping somewhere in the boonies of Maine, I spent my Father’s Day weekend with some of my favorite people in one of my favorite places.
I made friends with some of the locals..
and was reunited with my long lost twin. Sadly, we were separated at birth.
And I got back in time, just for another edition of Recipe Redux!
Here’s this month’s theme:
Tucked in a crust, nothing says love from the oven like pie. Whether it’s a twist on the all-American apple pie or a traditional recipe from your home country, give a healthy makeover to your favorite savory or sweet pie recipe.
As a new Maniac, I wanted to pay homage to our local fare. Lobster pie sounded amazing, but sadly I didn’t want to spend a good $30 on a pie for me, myself, and the blog.
- 2 prepared pie dough sheets
- 2 cups blueberries*
- lemon, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten (or milk)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, sugar, and cornstarch.
- Roll out pie dough, and cut into 5″ circles.
- Place prepared dough on baking sheet.
- Spoon blueberry mixture onto one half of each circle.
- Fold over other half, and crimp edges with a fork.
- Slice the top of each pie to allow the steam to escape.
- Brush each pie with egg or milk mixture, and bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
*fresh or frozen blueberries may be used.
- Category: Dessert
You could simply make this into a grand ol’ pie, but having your own little pie you can take any which way you choose is much cooler if you ask me.
[Tweet “Blueberry Lemon Basil Hand Pies #thereciperedux”]
It’s like the cupcake of the pie world. You just wait, hand pie wedding cake are gunna be all the rage this Fall. You can thank the blueberry lemon basil hand pie for that. 😉
Pin for later!
Now stuff your pie hole with the rest of this month’s redux-ers below!
And if you haven’t entered my giveaway for entry to this year’s Gluten & Allergen-Free Expo, you still have time to enter here!
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite kind of pie?
What’s one food your area is known for?