BLT Panzanella Salad Recipe — A deconstructed BLT sandwich made with bacon, toasted biscuit pieces, chopped romaine, sliced tomatoes, and a creamy buttermilk dressing. Can even be made vegetarian-friendly!
You think for a non-bacon fan, I wouldn’t post so much about now wouldn’t ya. I’m not one for conforming though. So this is another post about bacon.
In case you missed the train to the last blog post, I shared my affinity for tempeh, and distaste for bacon, but come to find out merging the two is actually amazing, and super easy which makes me love it even more. So what better way to put tempeh bacon to good use than in a BLT.
….salad. If there’s one thing (okay, there’s actually A LOT of things) that I love more than tempeh bacon, it’s salads. Most especially, salads WITH BREAD.
At the risk of sounding like I am in fact Jesus, my Francais heritage puts red wine in my veins, and bread in my body. Yeah, I really sound like J.C don’t I? Let’s just say, J’adore bread, wine, and cheese, and of course the salads that started this all.
If you’ve never used biscuits as croutons (which needs to change immediately), prepare to use biscuits as croutons a heckuva lot more this summer. And if salads aren’t your thing, at least make a BLT on a biscuit and make me happy.
- You can toast the biscuits ahead of time and store in an airtight container. Don’t want to turn on the oven? Slice the biscuits in half, and toast in your toaster oven.
- Save more time by buying your favorite ranch dressing, or even using one of the flavor packets with greek yogurt and milk to make it a bit healthier.
- If romaine is still infected with E.Coli (like it is now) feel free to use spinach, red leaf lettuce, or any other alternative.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 biscuits, cubed
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 6 slices cooked bacon (or tempeh bacon), roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt ranch dressing, or buttermilk dressing (see below)
- Buttermilk Dressing:
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss cubed biscuits with oil on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5-10 minutes, or until pieces are browned and crispy.
- Removed from heat, and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, tomato, biscuits, and bacon.
- Just before serving, add dressing, and toss to coat.
- If making dressing:
- Combine everything in jar with lid, and shake or whisk to combine.
- Keep refrigerated up to 5 days
Make it a great day!
Are you a bacon fan?
What’s your favorite type of salad?