This Basic Mashed Butternut Squash Recipe only requires a few simple ingredients and steps to make. One of my all-time favorite side dishes, especially for Thanksgiving.
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1.5 lbs)
- 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Peel, de-seed, and chop butternut squash into cubes.
- Add to a medium-sized saucepan, and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Drain, and add squash back to saucepan.
- Heat over medium for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently to remove excess moisture from squash.
- Transfer squash to the bowl of a stand mixer, or large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients, and mix with whip attachment on stand or hand mixer until smooth.
- Transfer to serving bowl, and top with pat of butter and extra pepper.
- This recipe easily doubles to serve a larger crowd.
- You can also mash by hand with a potato masher or whisk.
Keywords: squash, vegetables, mashed, vegetarian, side dish, thanksgiving, holidays