Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos — A healthy dinner recipe that uses sweet potato skins as the taco shell! Both vegan and gluten-free friendly!
This recipe was originally published in 2016 but has since been updated.
I had originally planned on calling these sweet potato skin tacos, but then I thought it sounds like you were eating sweet potato tacos made of skin, and that just sounded a little too Texas Chainsaw for me. *shudders*
Now that I’ve totally ruined your appetite and scarred your brain images for life, let’s eat!
What makes these sweet potato tacos delicious and healthy
- sweet potatoes
- black beans
- chili powder
- lime juice
- green onion
- sliced avocado
- chopped tomatoes
How to make these sweet potato tacos
Start by scrubbing two medium sweet potatoes, and piercing with a fork. Wrap each of them in a damp paper towel, and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes, or until softened. Let cool to touch, and cut each potato in half lengthwise.
Scoop out flesh into a small saucepan, leaving enough in to keep skin in tact. Set potato skins aside. In the saucepan, add 1 cup of black beans, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1 teaspoon lime juice, and stir to combine. Heat over medium, and continue to cook until mixture is warmed, or about 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can heat mixture in the microwave on high for 1-2 minutes.
Transfer potato and bean mixture to reserved potato skins to fill. Top with green onion, sliced avocado, chopped tomatoes, salsa, and any other desired toppings before serving.
- If not vegan, you can also top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, sour cream, or even add some cooked chicken to the mixture. Alternatively, you can use dairy-free cheese and sour cream.
- Use whatever beans you enjoy or have on hand. Get extra veggies in too by adding some sautéed peppers and onions, chopped spinach, or corn.
How long do these tacos last?
The filling will keep for 3-4 days. I recommend keeping the taco ‘shells’ and filling separate, heating the filling, and adding to the ‘shells’ when ready to serve. You can even crisp them up in the oven for more texture.
Can I use different filling ingredients?
Absolutely! Like a lot of my recipes, these serve as a jumping off point, where you can use the basic recipe, and add what you like, or have on hand. Feel free to play around with the spices, like adding cayenne for a kick, swapping out the beans, or adding your favorite taco toppers.
Money-Saving Tips for these Sweet Potato Tacos
Buy in bulk. Purchase ingredients you use often like sweet potatoes, beans, or spices in larger sizes. These tend to be more cost effective. Always check the unit price to be sure!
more sweet potato recipes
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a comment and a rating to let me know how it came out!
Pin this to your Dinner board!Print
A healthy dinner recipe that uses sweet potato skins as the taco shell! Both vegan and gluten-free friendly!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 sliced avocado,
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- any other desired toppings
- Wash potatoes and pierce with a fork.
- Wrap in a damp paper towel, and cook in microwave for 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Let cool slightly, cut each potato in half and scoop out flesh into a small saucepan, leaving enough to keep skin in tact. Set potato skins aside.
- In the small saucepan combine sweet potato, black beans, cumin, chili powder, and lime juice over medium heat until heated through ~ about 5 minutes. Alternatively, heat in a microwave-safe bowl for 1-2 minutes, or until warmed.
- Transfer sweet potato mixture into sweet potato skins.
- Top with avocado, green onion, salsa, chopped tomato, and/or any other desired toppings and serve.
* nutrition facts are estimated
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 152
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 72
- Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 26
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: sweet potato, taco, vegan, gluten free, vegetarian