Slow Cooker Baked Apple Oatmeal Cups — A healthy breakfast recipe that is good enough for dessert! Made with no refined sugar, vegan, and gluten-free!
You and your 90 degree temps, you. Tsk, tsk.
Yes, it’s kinda hard to get in the cozy spirit of autumn when you’re sweating your face off in shorts and a tank top. Give it time, because I’m sure I’ll be missing these days in a few weeks from now.
Let us all just give thanks for slow cookers.
I love fall, because I love pie.
Actually, I love pie filling. I’m the one who eats all the good stuff of pumpkin and apple pie, leaving behind the evidence of an empty pie crust shell every Thanksgiving.
Which is why I’m more of a crisp and crumble kinda gal.
I could eat those crumbly, sugared oats ’til the cows come home. So what’s better than pie? Pie for breakfast.
I’m no stranger to post-Thanksgiving pie for breakfast, but I save those days for when I can nap after the sugar comatose that is sure to come. Baked apple breakfasts? That’s a different story.
Why not have your pie and oats together in one adorably portable and totally edible, picked from the tree package?!
And if it’s anywhere close to as toasty hot as hell your way as it is here, making this in the slow cooker will be your best friend.
I love pairing these with some creamy, cold Greek yogurt and (dare I say it) peanut butter for some added fat and protein to keep me going. And let’s not kid anyone, it’s as close as I can get to a dollop of ice cream before 9 AM.
And who am I to stop you from eating these for dessert anyway? I can assure you, they are equally as good at 8 PM as they are 8 AM. Ice cream or not included. 🙂
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats*
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 5 apples
- 1/2 cup water
- In a small saucepan, add oats and water.
- Bring to a boil, and cook 3-5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, walnuts, raisins, and maple syrup. Set aside.
- Remove core and seeds of each apple carefully with a pairing knife.
- Scoop out enough flesh to make room for oats.
- Pour 1/2 cup water in slow cooker pan.
- Add apples, and fill each with prepared oatmeal.
- Cook on high for 2 – 2 1/2 hours, or low for 4 hours until apples are softened.
- Top each with additional cinnamon, syrup, or Greek yogurt before serving
*use certified gluten-free oats if gluten-free.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 mins
- Category: breakfast
[Tweet “A fall inspired breakfast that’s like dessert! #SlowCooker Baked Apple #Oatmeal #Vegan”]
Hover over image to pin for later!
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe?
Apples or pumpkin?