Fritter Apple Pancakes Recipe — A secretly healthy breakfast with all the flavor of an apple fritter! Perfect for Sunday morning brunch!
Happy first day of Fall y’all!
It is now socially acceptable to fangirl over anything with cinnamon, pumpkin, or apple related.
And just in time for this month’s Recipe Redux!
Here’s what our theme was this go around.
First Cooking Recollections
Stir up some of your earliest culinary recollections. Did you stand at your grandmother’s elbow to learn to cook? Or did you learn by stumbling through a cookbook by yourself? Share a healthy recipe and the accompanying story about one of your first cooking memories.
Believe it or not, I did not come out of the womb with a whisk and apron in hand. I actually hated cooking at a young age. Everything I touched, I burned. I don’t even think cereal went by unscathed.
I did love baking though. For any holiday, celebration, or no occasion at all, I would leave our kitchen covered in a thin coating of flour, and made a personal tradition to wash every utensil I used by hand. A labor of love.
Apart from jell-o, pancakes were one of the first foods I remember making at a young age.
It was kinda like baking, with all the measuring, gentle stirring, and well of course it had the word cake in it, but this time I had to brave the stovetop instead of the oven, still shellshocked from all the lives of stir fries and tomato sauces I sacrificed there.
I may have burnt a few in the process, but there’s nothing a little extra syrup and butter can’t handle. 😉
So in the spirit of fall, I decided to put a seasonal spin of my personal retro recipe. Plus, how can you NOT like an apple fritter?
It’s like, part of becoming an American.
Apple fritter. Welcome to the US of A.
PS, the glaze is optional if your a maple syrup purist, but otherwise, smother those babies and praise my name.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 small apple, sliced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, or confectioner’s sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg, vanilla, and maple syrup.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing until just combined.
- Coat pan with non-stick spray, and pour batter 1/4 cup per pancake.
- Add apple slices to each pancake, and sprinkle with additional cinnamon if desired.
- Let cook 2-4 minutes, or until edges are bubbly.
- Flip, and cook an addition 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Repeat until all batter is used, spraying your pan each time.
- In a small bowl, whisk glaze ingredients together and serve with prepared pancakes.
*use gluten-free flour if desired or needed.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Breakfast
[Tweet “Apple fritters in pancake form! Apple Fritter Pancakes #thereciperedux”]
Check out the rest of the nostalgic eats below too!
[inlinkz_linkup id=657460 mode=1]
Hover over image to pin for later!
Make it a great day!
Apple or pumpkin?
What’s the first food you learned how to make?