This quick and easy vegetarian gravy recipe takes just 6 ingredients and 10 minutes to make. A must-have for your plant-based Thanksgiving spread!
Watch how to make this Vegetarian Gravy Recipe (45 sec)
Alright, whoever is for officially changing the name from turkey day to all the sides day say I.
There’s no I in turkey, but there is definitely one in sIdes. Meet me by the stuffing and mashed squash.
Being a vegetarian at Thanksgiving isn’t too hard, especially when you’re a sides kinda gal like I am. After 9 years, I’m no longer following a vegetarian diet, but am always spreading that good veggie-lovin’ message far and wide. I feel ya. Veggie lovers deserve to have a river of gravy flowing throughout their veins too. If you’ve got ten minutes, I’m here to help. Vegetarian gravy to the rescue!
This one follows the same premise of a traditional gravy, just without the pan drippings and meat juice. I think meat juice is officially as unappetizing-sounding as moist & chunky. (*shivers)
I made this one a little on the thinner side, since globby gravy is not my jam. If you like a thicker gravy, you can cut down the amount of broth used by 1/2 cup. Both are equally delicious, and worthy of your mashed potatoes, stuffing, and All the Sides Day fixins.
Money Saving Tips for this Vegetarian Gravy Recipe:
- Buy stock in carton. Save money and waste at the same time by buying stock in the carton rather than in cans. You can also save up your veggie scraps and make your own too!
- Freeze butter. Butter always has a tendency to go on sale during the holidays. Make the most of it by buying an extra package, and sticking it in your freezer to have on hand.
More Thanksgiving Recipes:Print
This quick and easy vegetarian gravy recipe takes just x ingredients and 10 minutes to make. A must-have for your plant-based Thanksgiving spread!
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat broth in a microwave-safe dish in microwave for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan set at medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, stirring constantly.
- Cook mixture for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in broth, whisking constantly.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Add soy sauce, salt, and pepper, and transfer to serving dish. Top with dried thyme.
- Make this vegan by swapping out butter for plant-based buttery spread.
- Remove from heat when gravy is just under thickness you like. It will thicken more when it cools.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Category: condiments
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: vegetarian
Keywords: thanksgiving, vegetarian, gravy, recipe, sauce
[Tweet “A quick 10 minute #vegetarian gravy recipe that takes just a few simple ingredients to make! #Thanksgiving #SinfulNutrition”]
Pin this to your Thanksgiving or Vegetarian boards!
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite thing to put gravy on?
Are you all about the sides or main dish at Thanksgiving?