Pumpkin Spice Pickles Recipe — Homemade refrigerator pickles get pumpkin spiced! Sweet and tangy with cinnamon and spices.
Hiiii! It’s me. It’s Monday. Let’s kick it.
Remember once upon a time during the summer when I got cucumbers stuck in my sweet tea?
Yeah, it happened again. Except this time it was Autumn and pumpkin-mania had commenced. I wish it was Wizamania and I was
singing along to every song watching Wicked on Broadway again. Any other Wicked obsessed peeps out there?
Again, I found a way to make a seasonal spin on my second favorite food to eat out a jar. PICKLES.
I have been meaning to try these out ever since I went to a pickle festival at some point back in college. There was a parade, free pickles, and lots of people you think would be at a pickle festival. My friends and I may have been one of the few there with a full set of teeth. All the more entertaining.
But they also had some local pickle producers with free samples, which one included a cinnamon spice pickle to try.
I was sold. Anyone who adds cinnamon to as many obscure foods as I do is a winner in my book.
And with an abundance of garden cucumbers and a small window to fit everything and anything with pumpkin love, I had my chance. Sweet. Tangy. And full of pure pumpkin spice pickle joy.
- 2 large cucumbers, sliced thin
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tbsp kosher salt
- Slice cucumbers and place in 1 quart jar, or two pint jars.
- Add cinnamon sticks and pumpkin spice to jar(s).
- In a medium saucepan, combine remaining ingredients.
- Heat over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Pour liquid over prepared cucumbers.
- Let cool to room temperature, cover and store in refrigerator.
- Let set for at least 2 hours or overnight for best flavor.
Now what do you eat with pumpkin spice pickles? You mean there’s more ways to eat a pickle besides straight out of the jar? Something new everyday folks.
Here’s some I thought would be good. I can’t make any claims on their success. I eat them out of the jar.
- On a roasted turkey sandwich with honey mustard
- In a roasted root veggie wrap with dried cranberries
- On a turkey or veggie burger with melted Gouda cheese
- In a peanut or pumpkin soynut butter sandwich
…maybe that last one only sounds good to me…and those who are preggers.
Make it a great day!
What’s your favorite thing to eat with pickles?
Have you ever been to a food festival?