This garlic pesto and sardines on toast recipe is perfect for fellow sardine haters. A quick and tasty way to get those healthy omega 3’s!
Happy 2017 my friends!
It’s been a great year so far let me tell ya. We may only be 3 days deep, but 20-17 is already going hard in the paint after the crapshoot we just lived through.
I didn’t set too many goals for the year ahead, but I do want to aim towards three things.
- Eat more plant-based
- Simply my life
- Do one new thing each month
And a new year couldn’t come with new “it foods” either, right? Some people predict what team will win the super bowl, us foodies pick if turmeric will be going strong for another year.
So I thought it would be fun to show you my predictions for this year’s hot ticket food items by using a different one in a new recipe each week. First up, sardines.
I feel like eating smaller, as in a global impact perspective will be a big movement this year. Eating more local, smaller on the food chain, and other areas that reduce the giant dent in the ecosystem we’ve already created.
And eating those stinky, oily baby fish (aka those SMASH fish I’m always talking about) is a surefire way to do that.
…now if only I actually liked sardines.
Not gunna lie, it’s hard to get excited about canned fish, especially when you have this looking at you right off the bat.
Not hot. Which is why I take the whole SMASH fish thing literal, and smash the crap out of these guys until I can black out the above picture from my head.
I’ve used mustard, hot sauce, even my kryptonite OLIVES to mask the undeniable fishy-ness these guys are packed with, but I think I may have found my new favorite.
Pesto, presto. The garlic, basil, and parm do a bangup job masking the somethin’ fishy going on with the ‘dines, not to mention giving a little bit of an extra omega-3 boost from the olive oil and eggs if you choose to accept that mission. #winning.
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon walnuts
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 can unsalted sardines in water, drained
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 slices bread
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced(optional)
- In a small blender or food processor, blend pesto ingredients until smooth. Set aside
- In a small bowl, mash sardines with Dijon mustard.
- Toast bread, and spread half sardine mixture on each slice.
- Top each with half of pesto mixture.
- Add hard boil egg if using, and sprinkle with additional salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Hover over image to pin for later!
You may also like:
Make it a great day!
Are you a sardine fan?
What’s your favorite toast topping?