Hello Monday. We meet again. I am seriously dragging this morning and wishing I was curled up on the couch watching a Law & Order: SVU marathon. Instead I’m in my cube, playing Words with Friends, and studying water-soluble vitamins. C’est la vie.
Today marks the start of the #RESTWEEK Challenge which I am pretty pumped about after my 6.5 mile run yesterday. It took me every bit of motivation and a pre-nap to get me out there, but am glad I did. Nothing beats that feeling of a good run. Eating ice cream comes in at a close second but still doesn’t beat it. Nuffin.
The first task of the challenge was to decorate a morning journal to be used throughout the week. I felt like I was back in 7th grade decorating my binder with cut outs of Justin Timberlake and lip gloss. Except now it’s smiling apples and walnuts. I’ve grown up SO much. I loved taking a trip down memory lane as I stuck all my pictures on just the right spot to beautify my journal. Masterpiece revealed!
In Southern News, I also checked off another on the Southern in Sixty bucket list. Peanuts in a bottle of coke. The roomie and I were bound to find an old-fashioned coke bottle, but even Cracker Barrel let us down. Well, actually they DID have coke, but were tiny bottles which wasn’t gunna cut it for the true experience. Instead I got a bottle of CheerWine, which is an old Southern soda which is kinda like a cherry coke. Until I tried it. It was far from cheery and even further from wine. It didn’t taste like cherry coke at all, and well just wasn’t worth drinking. The only reason I did was to get to the salty peanut surprise inside, which was tastier than i expected. Sweet and Salty. But not nearly as awesome as fried green tomata’s, so I call it did and done. NEXT!
This week’s recipe was one I adapted from Lindsay over at The Lean Green Bean for Lentil Veggie Mac & Cheese. I didn’t have any macaroni noodles, but had plenty of brown rice to spare. Kitchen experimentation initiated.
Delicious! This dish reminded me of shepherd’s pie. I can’t wait to eat this dish up which made quite the large amount of food. If I carried that pan around for a good bit I could have probably counted that as my workout too. I choose to eat it instead.
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 cup lentils, uncooked
- 2½ cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and spray a square baking dish, or cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Cook both your rice and lentils according to the package instructions.
- Once cooked, add the lentils and veggies to the rice and set aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch.
- Add milk mixture to saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Add your cheese and stir until it is melted.
- Pour over the lentils and rice and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mixture to your prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with more cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes ,or until the cheese is melted.
What meals did you make over the weekend?
What is one thing you are grateful for?